Monday, April 19, 2010

Saint-Denis





Today I visited Saint-Denis Basilica where the majority of France's most important historical figures are buried. The 4th photo shows the graves of Louise de Lorraine, Louis VII, Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVI, and Louis XVIII. The following photo is the shriveled heart (yes, the HEART) of Louis XVII.

The 1st is a couple out of about a million bikes I admire every day on my way into town.

So I was actually supposed to fly home today but since all the airports in Northern Europe are closed because of the raging volcano in Iceland I will be here for an indefinite amount of time. Since it's going to be be at least another week I might as well make the most of it, right? ....Southern France or Germany anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Ugh... Didn't know they preserved the heart. Interesting.. Do you think they have separate coffins for their decapitated heads?.. I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bike pics are so great, love them ... happy travels !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, Bart do you mind if I use your Einstein street art photograph on my blog.... I will link back to you, I want to post it on my "friday favorites".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all Mandy, go for it. I feel honored. And thank you for asking me first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photograph is the star of my blog !!!!

    ReplyDelete